Beat The CFAs!

Friday, March 23, 2007

Study Session 11

An overlong break during my break week plus the worst part of the studying (accounting) plus deteriorating study habits (March Madness anyone!?) plus distractions on the job (I'm trying to get into fixed income) have really thrown me off track.

The bottom line is, I'm going to stop making excuses and just change my habits towards getting more done during the week. I'm just cutting my losses and proceeding forward. I have seen that the remaining material is much easier, so I plan to cruise through it at a quick pace and get to the practice exams. There I can make up the most ground by focusing on my weaknesses. This will be the toughest part for me, as I am normally not that kind of specific studier. But I know that in the long run, it'll help a lot. It would also explain why I always seem to be above average but never perfect in exams.

Lastly, a really sound piece of explanation. The reason why Mutual Funds are really Investment Companies, and why CDO's create SPV's is the same - you want to be able to separate those assets from a company so that shareholders in the company do not have recourse to that money. In other words, you have to set up a separate entity to keep the accounting for the money separate.

If I haven't mentioned this already, there is a 2 day course given by one of the CFA teachers that comes highly recommended. This is the link to the web site:
http://www.accountingworkshops.com/leveli.htm



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home